Here we go.

27 August 2010

ReJoyce in Ms. Elliott!

I know my political posts are my least popular; but they are my most important. I feel they give this blog some meaning and substance. That said, KMHD, ATM & I attended a luncheon with Senator Joyce Elliott @ KMHD's work on Wednesday. Let me just say that I walked away feeling happy, positive, confident & completely smitten.

Do you trust me when I say that this is a very important election and that we need to work hard to get Joyce Elliott to Washington, D.C.? She asked us personally for our help and it didn't take much convincing to enlist our services, time & (modest amounts of) money.

You've probably heard that Democrats might lose a lot of seats during the mid-term elections. That alone should compel you to take some action. We can overcome this! I know it isn't a presidential election, but that doesn't make it less important. President Obama is the representative of our country; Joyce would represent our state, our district. She will work hard to petition for and represent our district!

GRAVITAS!
1. Senator Elliott. She is the current Majority Leader in the Arkansas State Senate. That means that she is well-liked & respected by her peers. Click on the link and READ.

2. The first time she ran for office, people (including her friends) told her she couldn't win. Well, she did. Repeat that story two more times. Fearless!

3.
I love that she answered a tough question without even flinching. The question was whether she'd vote the will of the people or vote her conscience. She said that she would vote her conscience, but that she would hold herself accountable to voters and explain why she voted a certain way. She hopes that people, in return, would at least listen to her. She understands the concept of "tyranny of the majority".

That is, it is illegitimate for a temporary coalition that had a majority to gang up on and hurt a significant minority. (In Wikipedia. Retrieved on 25 August 2010, from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tyranny_of_the_majority
Sure, it is the will of the people. But, sometimes the will of the people is outright unconstitutional.
4. She made no promises except that she would work hard for our district & state.

5. She is not for sale.

6. I assume that most readers of fear_ants are progressive. I believe Joyce Elliott's stance on the issues are more aligned with yours than that of her creep-ass opponent.

7. When (not if) her opponent starts with the Karl-Rovian tactics, and I believe it'll be pretty bad from that point on, Joyce will not roll over. In fact, she said for him to "bring it on." Again, fearless!

8. She was born & raised in Willisville, Arkansas. She still lives & works in Arkansas for the Arkansas General Assembly. Majority Leader, remember? She didn't just decide to join the fray.

9. She is not a fear-mongerer. In fact, you should try to get some face-time with her, which is very easy to do as she is assessable. She is a very pleasant, positive person. It really rubs off on you.

10. She is a Mulerider, just like ATM! Hey-o!

I just wanted to write the things I like about Joyce because I wanted to arm voters with reasons to vote FOR her, not vote against her disgusting opponent Tim Griffin. But, I will tell you why he is not only incompetent, but troubling. He has done some pretty bad things to Americans. He's meddled with our Federal judicial system and dabbled in some voter caging. Working within the judicial system has enlightened me to the fact this is a serious violation of people's rights. Specifically, black people, low-income people, and Democrats. It's truly alarming! And this, this is truly petty, but I'm just going to go ahead and say it: Tim has broken the unwritten rule of posting his signs before Labor Day. It is in good form to wait until Labor Day or right after, so the people won't have to look at election signs for almost a year. So rude.



P.S., BTW, disclosure: I am not a registered Democrat. I usually vote Democrat, but do not align myself with any political party. Also, I hate bothering you about this. I do. But, it's that important to me.


Astley/Morrissey 2010
Photobucket

2 comments:

boleroid said...

That Morrissey/Astley picture is amazing.

AMD & KMHD said...

Absolutely. I wanted to lighten the mood.

Blog Archive